Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Perfect Red Velvet Cupcakes

My pal Jeannie from Jeannie's Gym Journey just completed another figure competition. So first, congrats Jeannie! Second, since the competition is over, she has a few days off her insane diet. Do you know what that means? All the goodies you can eat! I made some red velvet cupcakes for her and since I can't literally share with all of you, I figured I could at least share the recipe.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 1/2 c butter, soft
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 fluid oz red food coloring
2 T cocoa
1 c buttermilk
1 T vanilla
1 t baking soda

Start by creaming together the butter and sugar. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Fill cupcake tins about half way and bake at 350 for approximately 17 minutes.


For the icing, there will be no cream cheese icing on these red velvet cupcakes! Oh no! We use cooked icing.
What you'll need:

1 c milk
3 T flour
1 c sugar
1 c butter (soft)
1 t vanilla

In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk flour into milk. Cook over medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat and cool completely.

When the milk and flour mixture is cool, whip butter and sugar together. Add cooled milk/flour and vanilla. Spread on cooled cupcakes. If the icing is too thin, let it sit in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then spread.

Wondering what this new icon below is? It's time for another Iron Chef Challenge by Ott,A! Since June is dairy month, it's time to link up all your recipes using milk on A Latte With Ott,A!

Photobucket


Now, it's time to link up some of those great dishes you make from scratch!
Here are the rules:
1. You can link up as many posts as you'd like.
2. My only content rule is it has to be made from scratch.
3. If you want to put my button somewhere, that'd be cool. You can grab the code for the Made From Scratch Tuesday button on the top right of my sidebar.



Make sure to vote on your favorite link up by clicking the "like" button! We may have some giveaways in the future for the recipe with the most likes!




Photobucket


10 comments:

Jill @ Sweet Diva said...

Thanks for linking up with "Fun in the Summer Sun"...now linking up with you! Love red velvet anything!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Thanks for hosting!

Be sure to stop in at Cranberry Morning today and enter my handcrafted soap GIVEAWAY!! :-)

Shabby Chic Mom said...

hello! following you from the Monday hop!
newest GFC follower!
Would love for you to stop by and follow and say hello!

http://www.bragallaboutit.com

Jill said...

HI,
I shared my GF Coconut Pecan Drop Coolies with a video and an article I hope you enjoy!

Anna said...

Yummy. I'm going to link up a mojito when I get done with all my commenting. :)

Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Warrior Link Party.

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Yummy....red velvet cupcakes are my favorite and your cooked icing sounds like a great change.

Judy B. said...

Oh my gosh! All those recipes to look at. This may take a while. I loved seeing your Red Velvet/frosting recipes. It has been so long since I have made anything from scratch I had almost forgotten. I just made a Red Velvet cake last week from a mix and frosting from a tub. I know, I know. God forgive me! LOL. It was not too good.
Thanks for the post.
I'm here from Thirsty For Comments Thursday. Have a great day.

Kathleen said...

Love your blog name and your blog! I've never had red velvet (cup)cakes but I'm interested in trying them out sometime.

I now follow you and am visiting from Thirsty for comments thursday.


House Cleaning Tips from Reader's Digest Canada

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and I look forward to seeing you again real soon.
Have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Alexandra said...

Thanks so much for linking this delicious recipe up at Muffin (and cupcake) Monday1